Day One

I was diagnosed with MS 5 months ago at the grand age of 27. I'd just had a baby girl, Olivia, who is mine and my husband's absolute world.

To begin with it felt as though someone had just ripped my good health away from me. How was I going to continue to look after my little bundle of joy? Was I going to be able to run around after her when she's a toddler? How will my husband cope should I end up wheelchair bound?
I still don't have answers to any of those questions but you'll be glad to read that I'm coping with my prognosis alright, I think. Of course I have the odd wobble but I'm only human, right?

Things now made sense. I understood why these odd and sometimes awful things would happen to me and have happened to me now for around 6 years, unbeknown to me.
I talked at length to my support network (professionals, family and friends) about what is the best decision for me going forward in regards to treatment. All I knew is that I NEEDED to get better and no way will I let MS beat me.
This led me to choose Lemtrada (Alemtuzumab) and leads me nicely on to day one of treatment.
I had a terrible nights sleep last night. Olivia woke often with her teeth hurting, my poor little baba. Luckily my mind was quite blank, I'd recently learned some methods with coping with stress in a workshop at work which I'm pleased to say definitely helped (4x4x4 for those in the know *wink*).

My husband drove me to the hospital and I'm feeling alright, really positive, happy that I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and then as we're walking through the entrance I hear someone shouting my name. I see who it is and all of a sudden I can't control my emotions! Tears rolled down my cheeks as I gave one of our close friends a hug and she asks if I'm alright? Don't be nice to me! It makes me cry! 😂

I arrived at the ward super early which is a good thing because this ward is so busy! It also meant we got started early so they started with my previous meds, an anti histamine infusion and then a steroid infusion which just made me have a really horrible taste in my mouth. Next was the lemtrada. So far so good. My observations have been spot on and currently not feeling any side effects but it is only day one.... Let's remain positive!

I have slept quite a bit but I'm sure that's just because of the lack of sleep last night. It's extremely comfortable in my recliner chair on the ward. I've been made to feel at home and even been given a cuppa and a sandwich!

I have been on the ward since 8:30 and I am looking forward to getting home now. I know that some places keep you in Monday to Friday but in all honesty I'm so happy to be going home although I don't like battling with the Derriford traffic at the best of times.

Anyway, I'm going to stop rambling. I'll update every day. Couple of reasons, it's a bit boring here plus I'd like to think that anyone considering this treatment can read my experience. ♥


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hump day!

One Month Later

Day 5/6