Day 2

After my day one post I had an alright night. The only blip I had was when Kyle and I left the hospital I attempted to walk back to the car park with him but I was extremely tight chested so had to sit and wait in reception while hubby went and got the car.. That was a bit pants because it was only a short distance which I wouldn't normally think 2ce about but just couldn't manage it.. The tight chest soon passed as soon as I was resting again.
I slept really well considering the nurses telling me yesterday that the steroid part of the infusion would make me restless but I didn't have any problems with that at all. Olivia had a really good night too which helped mummy and daddy massively 👶

I was given a load of meds to take home yesterday which are Omeprazole which is just one a day for 12 days, Aciclovir which is 2 a day for 33 days and co-trimoxazole which is 2 a day 3 times a week. This is along with the antihistamine and paracetamol so I'm rattling when I walk at the moment 😂 I should probably read up on what each one does because at the moment I've just taken them like the good girl I am 😇
The lovely hubby bought me a pill box on the way home yesterday because he knows I have a terrible memory and would forget otherwise!

Kyle dropped me off at the hospital quite early this morning so I was waiting for the ward to open. Kyle was happy to go to work today knowing where I was, that I was settled and that I was alright which I'm glad about. It's good for him to have some normality through this. Baby girl spent her day with her Nanny and cousin which she loves 😍

We got started again really early so started off with a saline drip for 10 mins or so, then on to the steroid drip for half an hour, the lemtrada for 4 hours and finished off with another saline drip for an hour.
My observations went well throughout the day, there were no concerns at all and I haven't felt the need to take any paracetamol which is good.
The steroid solution gave me a horrendous taste in my mouth which has lasted all day, even drinking water tastes as though I'm drinking rusty water 🤢
I was ready to go home at around 3ish and it went super quick! It's probably because I made a new friend called Bob!
Bob is a lovely old chap who has such a great sense of humour which really is inspiring as he comes to this ward every 2 weeks for blood transfusions which, to be blunt, is how he's still alive. He has terminal cancer and without this treatment he'd die.
He's kept me entertained today and told me some great stories which I'll share with you..

Bob used to be a taxi driver and one day he picked a man up and dropped him to Moorhaven which is an old mental institution. He painted this picture about it being a cold winters night, tipping down with rain and generally quite gloomy. The gent he'd picked up was a male nurse who worked in the institution so when they arrived he told Bob that he'd jump out, let Bob in to the premises as it was easier to turn around and get out. Great thought Bob. So the nurse hopped out and let Bob through then just as he was turning around another guy from the institution jumped out in front of him and said "who the hell are you?"
This guy took Bob by surprise and he replied "well I'm a taxi driver mate, I'm just turning around".
"Oh" said the man, "Do you like my car?"
Bob took a look around and thought, well I can't see a bloody car, maybe he's one of the patients. "Yeah your car is lovely" replied Bob.
"It's a lovely colour isn't it?" asked the man.
"Yeah, yeah, beautiful colour, better than my black cab". Bob thought he'd better not ask me what colour it is because this guy is clearly nuts and there's definitely no car...
"Clean isn't she?" the man asked.
Phew... "Yeah lovely and clean, I've gotta go now mate, nice to see you."
Bob drove away and the nurse at the gate asked "what took so long?"
"Well, there was a guy up at the entrance who jumped out at me and asked me about his car but I really couldn't see a car."
"Oh I know who you're on about, you didn't tell him that you couldn't see his car did you?" the man asked all concerned.
"No, no" replied Bob, "he took me by surprise and gave me a little fright so I went along with it".
"Good good" replied the man, "I charge him a 5er a week to clean that silly pretend car."
LOL 😂😂
That is just one of Bobs many stories but I'll share more as the week goes on.
I just want to point out though that Bob clearly chooses how to cope with his prognosis and from what I can tell the old jokey guy just continued to be himself. He enjoyed making me laugh out loud to the point that people were looking across at us and keeping smiles on the nurses faces throughout the day.
He could easily let this terminal illness get the best of him but he's doing everything he can to live. What an amazing bloke.

Anyway I'm at home now, feeling ridiculously tired but making the most of my time with our princess before she goes to bed. Kyle finished work early to pick me up as I'm not allowed to drive now for around 3 weeks or so..

Apparently tonight is supposed to be the night I start suffering with side effects such as restlessness, fever type symptoms and feeling hot and flushed. We'll see. I'll keep you updated.



Comments

  1. Hi Amy ive reading your blog you got this girl..xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hump day!

One Month Later

Day 5/6